Home Register Search FAQ Games Usergroups Log in  
Reply to topic Deer Attractants, Do they really work?
Deer Attractants, Do they really work?
theBigUn

I'm a spike buck on this forum. <br> <b>My next goal is to become a 3 pointer.</B>
I'm a spike buck on this forum.
My next goal is to become a 3 pointer.

Game Tokens: 10
I have been hunting for several years, but lately have moved from edge of field hunting to deep woods. (our lease is moving us around). Problem is I can't get close enough to the deer to get a decent shot. Last year I tried lots of different off the self attractants to get closer to the deer. Just basic stuff from B.P. and Wal-Mart like Deer Cocaine and C'mere Deer. My odds were about the same with all of them. I could see tracks and signs around where I put it out, but never saw the deer actually upon it when I was hunting. At the end of the season I found this new product "Munch Block" from a company I saw a commercial for on Outdoor Channel. It looks like a big candy bar for deer. I got a shot at a deer right in the middle of the lane I cut about 60 yards out, on top of the attractant I put out. (I put it out the night before). It was a perfect head down shot on one of the bigger bucks I knew were on our lease, and had been seeing rubs from. This year I am trying other products they make and see if it really makes a difference. Has anyone else used any of their products and can give me some pointers. Their stuff is online at www.wildgameadvantage.com I want to try their Monster Magnet attractant and see if this is really the new wonder product for getting deer, especially bucks, to get closer to my climbing stand. But I don't want to just waste more money if truly patience and experience are the key to thick brush and woods hunting. Let me know. Thanks
Uncle Dave

Administrator
Administrator

Game Tokens: 13172893
Sorry, but using any of those products within 30 days of a deer season are highly ilegal here in PA. I've used Deer Cane in June and July to get trail cam pics, but never used it during the season. Did get good pics though.
Younghunter

<b>I'm a VIP Member of PAbucks.com!! <br>Highest Ranked Member!!</b>
I'm a VIP Member of PAbucks.com!!
Highest Ranked Member!!

Zodiac: Libra

Game Tokens: 9966
My suggestion. Find out where the deer are moving through this thick brush, they might only have one or two key trails that they are using... then relocate your treestand.

It sounds like they are only coming to your bait at night time, deer are just about everywhere at night, i get deer in my backyard at night every now and then and i live in the city... so just because there are tracks there when you put out your bait doesn't mean your set up in a good area. I would do some more scouting. Find their bedding area, mast producing trees, a funnel, key trails, rub lines, something significant to indicate that deer regularly use this area and then set up at a safe distance away. Then if you still want to use bait, it would be highly likely that they would show up during daylight hours.

I don't believe any kind of bait could be a new wonder for getting deer. Good stand placement and hunting the right conditions for that stand is much more important in my opinion.
-Matt
Uncle Dave

Administrator
Administrator

Game Tokens: 13172893
hey younghunter - you folks can bait up there? Down here, if they can pin you on a trail that's within 250yds of a bait location - your busted.

Stand location is the key.
Younghunter

<b>I'm a VIP Member of PAbucks.com!! <br>Highest Ranked Member!!</b>
I'm a VIP Member of PAbucks.com!!
Highest Ranked Member!!

Zodiac: Libra

Game Tokens: 9966
Well... the baiting laws now allow 2 gallons of bait to be put on a 40 acre section of land per hunter. It gets kinda confusing. And a stand can only have one bait pile within 100 yards... I am pretty sure in the CWD zones baiting is illegal and everywhere automatic feeders are illegal, and baiting can only be done during hunting season, not year 'round.

I think it was two or three years ago that baiting was banned because of the discovery of CWD. And I will say that year was one of the best years of hunting I have ever had. The deer moved all day long, they were hitting my apple trees hard, and I saw more big antlered deer. Since that that year I never got back into baiting, I don't see it as being a good technique to get big bucks, they seem very wary coming to a bait pile, although I know of people who have shot big bucks off of bait piles. The no baiting laws peed off a lot of apple orchards and people who sell corn/apples for bait, so there was a big push to bring it back. To me, I would have no problem doing with out it.

I am hooked on food plots though. The think with my land is, I have great early season attraction with all the apple trees on my land, but after those apples fall I scarcely see deer. The food plot really brings them in and keeps them through the winter. There are problems with my food plot though, a lot of times I will still have deer in the plot after dark and I am faced with the choice of getting down out of my stand and spooking them, having someone come pick me up with a vehicle (which isn't always practical) or trying to wait it out in my stand until they leave. Also I don't own the woods that borders the food plot so I can't hunt inside the woods only the edge. I know there are big bucks in the woods just waiting to come out after dark, I hear them.
-Matt
Anonymous

I hunted in both PA and MI last year. I used a product I found on the internet called Monster Magnet Liquid attractant. It is not a bait so you can use it all season long. This stuff works like nothing I have ever seen before. I got two 8 point bucks one in PA and one in MI. It worked for me in about 48 hours. Now I have went to using their powder and much blocks to train the deer to stay in the area. I few days ago I got some of their fishing products and WOW does that stuff work all so. I'm not sure where you can buy it localy, I have been getting it off their website www.wildgameadvantage.com. I also found out that Monster Magnet Liquid is the factory brand C'Mere Deer that Hank Parker is behind. I just order some of Wild Games cover scents and scent eliminator I'll let you know how it works. But if it anything like their other products it should be Great. Try some I know you'll like it!

Zinosrock!
Chase Mullinax

I'm a spike buck on this forum. <br> <b>My next goal is to become a 3 pointer.</B>

Zodiac: Virgo

Game Tokens: 25
I have tried the product Buck Jam ripe apple from wallmart and you can also get it at oher outdoor places and have had very good results from it.
JasonMcC

I'm a Member of the <b>Monster Buck Club!</b><br> My Final Goal is to become a VIP Member of PAbucks.com!!
I'm a Member of the Monster Buck Club!
My Final Goal is to become a VIP Member of PAbucks.com!!

Zodiac: Aquarius
Hall Of Fame Member

Game Tokens: 836
I use the scents for west wind whitetails......never had a problem with seeing deer or them being spooked by the scent. Heres the weblink for it...... i use it every year with no problems
http://westwindwhitetails.com/
Wrdslngr

Zodiac: Cancer

Game Tokens: 25
I had great results this year with Jack's Juice Buck Aroma. www.jacksjuice.com

It's spray foam and I sprayed my boots, then walked to my stand. About 3 hours later, a buck followed with his nose on the ground right where I walked.
manders01

Zodiac: Cancer

Game Tokens: 50
Hey guys,
The only attractant I ever use is Buck Candy, I've used a few others in the past but they didn't really work that well. Or they work really well just not then or there... Its hard to tell with attractants, they are hit or miss for me. Its kinda like using a new catfish bait for the first time, you catch a 20 pounder and it dont matter if it ever works again, its still good stuff. I do have better results with the buck candy stuff over any of the others I've tried though. Eh I'm pretty sure its Buck Candy Deer Attractant
[gunshoot]

Deer Attractants, Do they really work?