Home Register Search FAQ Games Usergroups Log in  
Reply to topic Deer Dropings Buck or Doe?
Deer Dropings Buck or Doe?
Anonymous

Is there a way you can tell if the dropings left in the woods are from a buck or a doe [Question]
BILL

<b>I'm a VIP Member of PAbucks.com!! <br>Highest Ranked Member!!</b>
I'm a VIP Member of PAbucks.com!!
Highest Ranked Member!!

Zodiac: Virgo

Game Tokens: 11827
I WAS TOLD THAT A BUCKS DROPPIGS ARE CLUMPED TOGETHER AND A DOE WOULD BE SCATTERED. IF THIS IS INCORRECT SOMEONE PLEADE LET ME KNOW.
Anonymous

dropping size and shape are mostly due to what the deer are eating either browseind on treebuds you will predominatly see hard round or oval droppings and richer food i.e corn or types of rich food you will see clumped droppings. but for overall size the bigger the pellets usally the bigger the deer
bwanared

Highest Ranked Member!!

Game Tokens: 1073
I have a 5 year old grandson and I tell him he's gotta pick em up and squish em around in his hand. I think he knows I'm yankin his chain. What you can do is try to look at the tracks. A buck will take a different stance when urinating than will a doe. I don,t know about when they drop a load. It will take some more time and obsevation in the woods. Darn.
Archeryman

Highest Ranked Member!!

Hall Of Fame Member

Game Tokens: 0
I have some of the North American Hunter books and the one clled "Whitetail Wisdom" has a special chapter called Pelletology. In there it stats that if the pellets are individual and not clumped the deer are eating primarily leaves, browse and twigs. If they are clumped together they are eating mainly grasses and forbs. From their studies the size of the pellets on penned deer do not show in any way the difference between a buck or doe. Now if you have bucks 4 1/2 or older in our area they say there are exceptions.. The studies show that some mature bucks due drop more pellets per pile.
bullcb

I'm a 8 point buck on this forum.<br> <b>My next goal is to become a 9 Pointer.</B>
I'm a 8 point buck on this forum.
My next goal is to become a 9 Pointer.

Zodiac: Leo

Game Tokens: 64
the only true way is if you see which one did the deed. besides that i have not a clue
deer droppings
Treebound

Pabucks.com Pro Staff Writer

Zodiac: Scorpio

Game Tokens: 938
I've always heard of course the clumps are bucks and the larger pellets doe and the smaller pellets are yearlings. No science just hearsay.
If all conditions would be right, you'd find a bedding area where the ground or snow is favorable for tracks and bed imprints. If the larger bed somewhat removed from the others, with larger hoofprints leading away and a clump of pellets associated with these (buck) tracks, and the other smaller and smallest beds and tracks are associated with their respective pellets, (doe and yearlings) then maybe you could tell. But never for certain.
A big five and a half yr. old doe might leave behind an impressive clump. Who knows?
will choate

Game Tokens: 298
[Shocked] You guys realy hunt in the snow [Question]
Archeryman

Highest Ranked Member!!

Hall Of Fame Member

Game Tokens: 0
Love hunting in the snow. That is my favorite.
Anonymous

yup, you cant beat the snow...

the walk in is a lot quieter, you can see a deer a lot more easily, and you can track them better.

Deer Dropings Buck or Doe?