Home Register Search FAQ Games Usergroups Log in  
Reply to topic What type of handgun is the best for hunting deer?
What type of handgun is the best for hunting deer?
Deadeye

Pabucks.com Pro Staff Writer

Zodiac: Capricorn
Hall Of Fame Member

Game Tokens: 3607
I would like to try hunting deer with a handgun some day but i am not sure what type or Caliber i should have. If anyone has knows anything or has any suggestions please tell me. Thank You!
Scurry

I'm a Member of the <b>Monster Buck Club!</b><br> My Final Goal is to become a VIP Member of PAbucks.com!!
I'm a Member of the Monster Buck Club!
My Final Goal is to become a VIP Member of PAbucks.com!!

Zodiac: Taurus

Game Tokens: 0
Well I'm partial to a S&W model 629 - 8 3/8 barrel 44mag. shooting either 240 gr. Rem hollow points or 240 gr Hornady XTP's.
bwanared

<b>I'm a VIP Member of PAbucks.com!! <br>Highest Ranked Member!!</b>
I'm a VIP Member of PAbucks.com!!
Highest Ranked Member!!

Game Tokens: 1073
Lots of considerations, Revolver? double action or single? Single shot? Thompson or Encore? Caliber depends on the gun. In single shots you can use big rifle calibers while revolvers are somewhat limited but very effective.

Do lots of research.
paccw

I'm a 9 point buck on this forum.<br> <b>My next goal is to become a 10 Pointer.</B>
I'm a 9 point buck on this forum.
My next goal is to become a 10 Pointer.

Zodiac: Scorpio

Game Tokens: 52
Just got a Ruger 454 CaSull.
I only plan on shooting 45 colts out of it because 454's on deer around here would only ruin the meat.
PMC makes a 45 colt +P+ round that has a MV of 1250 and a ME of 1041.
Great stopping power without the high presures of a 44 mag.A good friend of mine hunts deer with rounds that only have a MV of 800 and they break shoulder bones and drop the deer in there tracks.45 colt is powerful enough with good ammo.
I also plan to reload so that's a good thing with the 45 colt or 454 CaSull ammo.
I would say only 44 mag or bigger... you can always download ammo for a larger gun.
SGTGS

View My Character

Game Tokens: 1448
A 454 CaSull is way too big for you considering your 16, a .44 8" barrel may be too big, If I was you I would look at the .357 for starters.
HUNT4FUN

Zodiac: Taurus
Hall Of Fame Member

Game Tokens: 624
I carry a S & W 629 Classic, 44 cal. It's alot of gun for some but with the right loads I think you would be very happy with it's performance..Stick on a 4X scope and your ready to fill the freezer...
paccw

I'm a 9 point buck on this forum.<br> <b>My next goal is to become a 10 Pointer.</B>
I'm a 9 point buck on this forum.
My next goal is to become a 10 Pointer.

Zodiac: Scorpio

Game Tokens: 52
Just to make it clear .
45 long colts can be shot out of a 454 CaSull .
PMC makes 2 diffrent 45 colt loads starting out as low as MV 800 and the gun can go has high as MV 1,800 with 454 CaSull rounds.
This is the type of gun I would buy because it will last you a lifetime and has many diffrent rounds to choose from.
Trust me one day when I'm a old man I'll be very happy to still shoot my 454 CaSull with a 45 long colt round only moving at 800 feet per sec. Recoil has it's good and bad days.You can put light loads in the gun and go groundhog hunting or heavy loads to take deer or black bear.
THINK AHEAD!
madskilz08

Highest Ranked Member!!

Zodiac: Pisces
Hall Of Fame Member

Game Tokens: 5280
I use a S&W 357.. Seems to work ok here. [Cool]
MtMan

I'm a 12 point buck on this forum.<br> My next goal is to become a Member of the Pabucks.com  Monster Buck Club.
I'm a 12 point buck on this forum.
My next goal is to become a Member of the Pabucks.com Monster Buck Club.

Game Tokens: 1250
What about shot placement? Where should I be holding at an average distance with a handgun? Heart/Lungs or Head/Neck? Maybe it's more of a personal choice but just want to know what everyone thinks. I have a blackhawk in .357 that will be on my hip this hunting season.
.357 Shot Placement
Aqualung

I'm a Member of the <b>Monster Buck Club!</b><br> My Final Goal is to become a VIP Member of PAbucks.com!!
I'm a Member of the Monster Buck Club!
My Final Goal is to become a VIP Member of PAbucks.com!!

Zodiac: Cancer

Game Tokens: 3495
MtMan wrote:
What about shot placement? Where should I be holding at an average distance with a handgun? Heart/Lungs or Head/Neck? Maybe it's more of a personal choice but just want to know what everyone thinks. I have a blackhawk in .357 that will be on my hip this hunting season.

Not to sound like a [wise-guy] but it depends on how well you shoot the handgun.

If you think you might miss, go for the head, then it's either hit or miss. The .357, while very powerful, doesn't give too much room for error. If you're very good with it and confident that you'll get a good heart shot, by all means go for the heart/lungs.

What're you using, bullet-wise? hopefully nothing smaller than the 158gr.

I've head-shot deer with .357 using 158gr swc handloads (finishing shots) and they don't need a second follow-up. However, the same can be said for my follow-up shot I made with a 115gr 9mm JHP.

My sidearm when hunting is my .41mag Blackhawk, but I do have a .357 Blackhawk that I carried before I got the .41. Personally, I considered the .357 only as a follow-up gun, while I'd have more confidence in the .41 for a primary hunting gun.

However, If I'm going to use a handgun as my primary hunting gun, it's my .44 Super Blackhawk.

Aqualung

EDIT: If someone's going to edit my messages, please don't be nasty about it. I don't think what was substituted for what I wrote was appropriate. I've since made my own correction, thank you. If it was the board owner who made the substitution, I apologize for the term I used, but I respectfully say that the substitution was just as offensive.

Last edited by Aqualung on Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Uncle Dave

Administrator
Administrator

Game Tokens: 13172893
I know some guys who do a fair bit of hunting with a handgun. They all say the same thing; you have to be familiar with your weapon, as it's much more challenging than hunting with a long barrel.
MsDeerHunter

I'm a 4 point buck on this forum.<br> <b>My next goal is to become a 5 Pointer.</B>
I'm a 4 point buck on this forum.
My next goal is to become a 5 Pointer.

Game Tokens: 225
My all-time favorite is a 16" bull 30-30 on a T/C Contender.
I deer hunt with it much more than I take a rifle.
Re: .357 Shot Placement
kokopelli_ll

Highest Ranked Member!!

Zodiac: Aquarius

Game Tokens: 25
Aqualung wrote:

My sidearm when hunting is my .41mag Blackhawk, but I do have a .357 Blackhawk that I carried before I got the .41. Personally, I considered the .357 only as a follow-up gun, while I'd have more confidence in the .41 for a primary hunting gun.

However, If I'm going to use a handgun as my primary hunting gun, it's my .44 Super Blackhawk.

I have a .41 Mag in a 5 inch Ruger Redhawk as a primary and a ..357 Mag . in a Ruger Security Six 3 inch for a back-up . The .41 M is what works for me ...... I consider the .357 too light .

I think the average person would be best suited with a . 44 Mag . alternating .44 specials , .44M targets loads or .44M full power loads in various bullet weight for practice/utility to suit the situation .

My son was shooting . 41M target loads at 8 years old .

Handloading is a bigger help than "the actual cartridge" in my opinion . I'd want something common and veritile .

Become involved in a local gun club and try out some different Guns & cartridges .

What type of handgun is the best for hunting deer?