Home Register Search FAQ Games Usergroups Log in  
Reply to topic Strange Fox-like creature seen in North Florida
Strange Fox-like creature seen in North Florida
rootsong

I'm a spike buck on this forum. <br> <b>My next goal is to become a 3 pointer.</B>
I'm a spike buck on this forum.
My next goal is to become a 3 pointer.

Game Tokens: 20
Hello all,

I live in Leon County, of North Florida, US. I had a strange sighting that I wanted to share here in hopes of getting some insight. I figure that hunters are in the woods more than most anybody else, so you guys might have seen something.

While taking a walk through some woods local to my then-home, I saw a strange creature. I came upon it in a field, during a cloudy mid-day. It appeared as follows:

It looked alot like a fox, except less canine-like, and maybe more in the prarie-dog family. I say this because of the shape of it's head, but also because of how it stood: on it's hind legs, with its front paws tucked to it's body, looking around like a prarie-dog does. (and in this case, looking at me, not thirty-five feet away.) It was about as big as a small-medium-sized fox, though not at all stout, more on the lanky size. Its fur was short-ish, I think, and mostly white, and grey, and maybe some black, with longer parts here and there. It was very keen. After looking at me a moment it ran off---: and then I noticed that it had a big, long bushy tail, almost as long as it's body, that waved up and down as it ran, like a squirrel. Also the way it ran wasn't fox-like, it bounded, much like a squrrel, instead of running like a fox (canine) does. And it ran fast.

I saw this animal in North Florida. I have searched the internet and found to trace of it's existance, documentation, or what it might be.

There is a "fox-squirrel", but this was definately not it. The Fox squirrel is only twice the size of a squirrel; this thing was four times the size of a squirrel about - more like the size of a small-medium-sized fox.

I spoke with a friend that also saw it on another occasion yesterday, and he said that it's fur was grey, and white on the longer portions. He said it was very squirrel-like to him, so I think that it couldn't be a canine, but more in the family of squirrel/prarie dog/and the like.

I remember it's face and it almost reminds me of a weasel or a possum, but it couldn't have been related to either because of the way it bounded, and how fast it was, and it's big bushy tail.

While once looking in a wildlife book about the different types of foxes, I thought I saw something that they call the "squirrel fox", which is known to climb trees. It was an old book and I think they might have been referring to the gray fox, which is also known to climb trees. I can't find the book, so I don't know. And I've searched the interent, to no avail.

Has anyone else seen this animal, or know anything about what it might be?

Feel free to e-mail me personally, too, at beastinthesky (at) hotmail (dot) com

Thanks for your time,
NonTypical07

Pabucks.com Pro Staff Writer
Pabucks.com Pro Staff Writer

Zodiac: Cancer
Hall Of Fame Member

Game Tokens: 6141
It could possibly be a badger or something of the sort.. heres a pic of a bager, it matches your description.

badger.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.56 KB
 Viewed:  279 Time(s)

badger.jpg

Ghost

Warnings : 5 Warnings : 5 Warnings : 5 Warnings : 5 Warnings : 5 
<b>I'm a VIP Member of PAbucks.com!! <br>Highest Ranked Member!!</b>
I'm a VIP Member of PAbucks.com!!
Highest Ranked Member!!

Game Tokens: 1506
Ferret. Somebody dumped it off......probably stinkin up the house..pissin on everything.
PA Bowman

Highest Ranked Member!!

Zodiac: Libra

Game Tokens: 2690
From your description it sounds like a Fisher.
The Pa Game Commission has reintroduced the fisher to Pa about 10 years ago.
Apparently they are very hearty and can adapt to almost any climate.
I believe they belong to the otter family.
http://lsb.syr.edu/projects/cyberzoo/fisher.html
jstlawrence

I'm a spike buck on this forum. <br> <b>My next goal is to become a 3 pointer.</B>
I'm a spike buck on this forum.
My next goal is to become a 3 pointer.

Game Tokens: 20
I believe I saw the identical creature in Orlando today. I found this post by searching "squirrel-like tail" or some such.

It was up in a tree beside our company's parking lot, and then ran down and sat up, prairie-dog style, before bounding away with that rodent-like gait you described. It was cat-sized and gray in color, with a tail almost identical to a squirrel's, but twice as long. It also had a distinct black mask, like some ferrets. It was about 25 feet away, so we got a good look.

Quite a few people saw it and it's become the water cooler sensation of the day. Someone suggested a "fox squirrel," but I looked up some pictures, and those are apparently just larger cousins of the eastern gray squirrel. This was clearly something else. I've also looked at pictures of Florida minks (wrong color) and weasels (maybe?) I also looked at the Fisher above, and that's the right family, but it's a little too robustly built and lacks that black mask.

I guess my working theory would have to be "ferret," but it was quite large for a ferret -- looked as heavy as a small cat. And I've never seen a ferret with a big squirrel-like tail like that, although I understand that some domestic ferrets have that kind of tail.

I've lived in Florida all of my life, and have seen most of the critters here, but this was a new one to me.

[Smile]
Uncle Dave

Administrator
Administrator

Game Tokens: 13172893
I'd lay money on a fischer, but perhaps a mink as well. ALSO, being the capital of exotic critters, I'd also entertain the possibility that this could be an escaped "pet" or other type of invasive. They do have some big squirrels in parts of the world.
Buckonly17

I'm a 10 point buck on this forum.<br> <b>My next goal is to become a 11 Pointer.</B>
I'm a 10 point buck on this forum.
My next goal is to become a 11 Pointer.

Zodiac: Capricorn

Game Tokens: 60
sounds like a fischer to me
Drop Tine

Highest Ranked Member!!

Game Tokens: 12240
Is it a Chupacabra aka the goatsucker?
www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chupacabra
PSUHunter

Zodiac: Leo

Game Tokens: 44482
drop tine wrote:
www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chupacabra

hm..... [bigeyes00]
kokopelli_ll

Highest Ranked Member!!

Zodiac: Aquarius

Game Tokens: 25
drop tine wrote:

I's a conspiracy ! These critter were introduced into PA to control the deer population after they figured out the people were catching onto the Cougars ! ! [Run for the hills]

Strange Fox-like creature seen in North Florida