Home Register Search FAQ Games Usergroups Log in  
Reply to topic How to clean a squirrel?
How to clean a squirrel?
PSUHunter

Zodiac: Leo

Game Tokens: 44482
I rememeber asking this a while ago, but I cant seem to find the post...so...fill me in...I have never actually done this myself, always used to my dad doing it for me when I was just a kid
Squirel
kjb197

I'm a 10 point buck on this forum.<br> <b>My next goal is to become a 11 Pointer.</B>
I'm a 10 point buck on this forum.
My next goal is to become a 11 Pointer.

Zodiac: Sagittarius

Game Tokens: 65
Its been awhile but I think I just skinned it and cut off as much meat as I could with out getting too carried away. I know some only cut the legs off and toss the rest.
NHmsj

I'm a 5 point buck on this forum.<br> <b>My next goal is to become a 6 Pointer.</B>
I'm a 5 point buck on this forum.
My next goal is to become a 6 Pointer.

Game Tokens: 245
PSUHunter, I'm not sure to what extent of "cleaning" you seek, but I'll give you the whole process.

First off, I field dress my kill on the spot - it's totally gutted. Holding the squirrel in my hand, belly up and tail away, I make a cut from just below the rib cage to the anus where the knife is inserted through the pelvis and leveraged up to cut through it. (It doesn't take much effort to do so.) I turn the squirrel around and make a second cut up through the ribcage to the throat, open up the body cavity and pull everything out. From throat to anus, everything is pulled free and discarded. (However, I do keep the livers. My cat loves them.) After making sure I have removed everything internal I don't want, I remove the head, tail and paws. Those stay in the woods, too. Even though I place the carcass in a plastic bag, I leave the hide on, and for two reasons. One, it's an added measure of protection for the meat. And, secondly, keeping hair from the hide off the meat is tough enough to do when skinning even under the best conditions. Doing so in the woods is even harder still. I just wait 'til I get home to deal with that matter.

Finally, when time comes to remove the hide, I just make a skin deep cut across the middle of the back, work my fingers into the slit and pull in opposite directions - one direction to where the head use to be and the other direction to where the tail use to be. Squirrels aren't like rabbits. They don't care to give up their hides easily; and some are even tougher than others. Pull! The hide will rip at the slit and eventually, with some effort, come off the animal. To minimize the amount of hair that might well end up on the meat, wetting the carcass/hide throughly before the skinning process is started does seem to help, at the least, a wee bit. Once skinned, throughly rinse/wash the carcass. From there you can cut it up as you might care to.

Is the above mentioned method what you were seeking?
Just noticed
NHmsj

I'm a 5 point buck on this forum.<br> <b>My next goal is to become a 6 Pointer.</B>

Bummer. I just noticed that the original post by PSUHunter is almost a year old. Too bad. However, no matter. Maybe someone else will find the described method useful. [Embarassed]
Re: Just noticed
PSUHunter

Game Tokens: 44482
Quote:
Bummer. I just noticed that the original post by PSUHunter is almost a year old. Too bad. However, no matter. Maybe someone else will find the described method useful. [Embarassed]

very useful! Thanks!
JasonMcC

I'm a Member of the <b>Monster Buck Club!</b><br> My Final Goal is to become a VIP Member of PAbucks.com!!
I'm a Member of the Monster Buck Club!
My Final Goal is to become a VIP Member of PAbucks.com!!

Zodiac: Aquarius
Hall Of Fame Member

Game Tokens: 836
I also drench the sucker with water when removing the hide. Keeps the hair from going every were and off the meat
NHmsj

As a follow up to the subject of this thread, and to hopefully stimulate more conversation regards squirrel hunting, I thought I'd share a video available through the link below. I came across it a while back and found it quite interesting.

http://members.localnet.com/~nickdd/Mr.SQUACKS_0001.wmv

I gave the squirrel skinning method demonstrated in the video my first try just last night, and now I am a "true believing convert!" For years I skinned my bushy tails using the "slit across the back and pull" method, as I described earlier in this thread. The method shown in the video is much faster and far cleaner. Great why to skin a squirrel. However, it is important to make the initial cut as shown, cutting a bit beyond the tail, peeling back a bit of hide to step on. If you don't, and you just step on the tail, you'll have a stripped tail and an unskinned squirrel. Went there, did that.

msj
JasonMcC

I'm a Member of the <b>Monster Buck Club!</b><br> My Final Goal is to become a VIP Member of PAbucks.com!!

Hall Of Fame Member

I tried what the last post said and i'll do it this way forever...Man thats alot easier then messing around with it......Awesome post Thanks !!
NHmsj

Jason, I'm glad you found the "step & pull" method of skinning a squirrel useful. I hope you get to use it alot!

msj
JasonMcC

Hall Of Fame Member

Yes sir i did.....i can't do it any outher way now...SO simple and quick. I love to hunt them. They seem to be real plentiful . Thanks again for the video . awesome !!
steeleagle

I'm a 9 point buck on this forum.<br> <b>My next goal is to become a 10 Pointer.</B>
I'm a 9 point buck on this forum.
My next goal is to become a 10 Pointer.

Hall Of Fame Member

Game Tokens: 4832
NHmsj wrote:
As a follow up to the subject of this thread, and to hopefully stimulate more conversation regards squirrel hunting, I thought I'd share a video available through the link below. I came across it a while back and found it quite interesting.

http://members.localnet.com/~nickdd/Mr.SQUACKS_0001.wmv

I gave the squirrel skinning method demonstrated in the video my first try just last night, and now I am a "true believing convert!" For years I skinned my bushy tails using the "slit across the back and pull" method, as I described earlier in this thread. The method shown in the video is much faster and far cleaner. Great why to skin a squirrel. However, it is important to make the initial cut as shown, cutting a bit beyond the tail, peeling back a bit of hide to step on. If you don't, and you just step on the tail, you'll have a stripped tail and an unskinned squirrel. Went there, did that.

msj

I used the above method and it worked beautifully.........thank you for a great video
jsala

I'm a 6 point buck on this forum.<br> <b>My next goal is to become a 7 Pointer.</B>
I'm a 6 point buck on this forum.
My next goal is to become a 7 Pointer.

Zodiac: Virgo

Game Tokens: 345
here is the easiest way to do it
cut off the tail and all 4 paws about an inch above ankle bone
then get a sharp knife and cut a line straight across the back not going though the meat and just though the fur
then stick 1 finger in each side and pull the skin should peel off fairly easy pull the rear end all the way off and the other will stop at the neck cut the head off and gut
cut from the top of he rib cage down pull everything out and there you go

How to clean a squirrel?