Home Register Search FAQ Games Usergroups Log in  
Reply to topic How to kill big BUCKS
How to kill big BUCKS
deerhunter02

I'm a 12 point buck on this forum.<br> My next goal is to become a Member of the Pabucks.com  Monster Buck Club.
I'm a 12 point buck on this forum.
My next goal is to become a Member of the Pabucks.com Monster Buck Club.

Game Tokens: 1015
Hunting Farmland is a great way to kill a deer every year but its hard to hunt in farm fields and still kill big bucks. I'm not saying hunting those fields are bad (i hunt them a lot) It's just that big deer didn't get big by coming into fields before dark and just sitting around for the hunters picking. The best time to hunt farmland is during the RUT or pre-rut when bucks are following the does around and Does gota eat.

The best way to kill bug bucks consistently is to find where big bucks are consistently.
The four best areas to hunt are staging areas, bedding ares, rub lines, and hidden food sources.

Staging areas are the area in the words where the smart deer hang out before dark waiting to go into the farm fields. Staging areas can be from 50-200 yards back from the field. The best way to hunt these is to find the trails, rubs and scrapes in the 200 yards perimeter. Then set yourself on the outside of the area closest to the field as you can. This way you can shoot deer in the staging area and in the field if a big buck can't resist a hot doe.

Bedding area is also a great area to hunt bucks but risky. Bucks usually bed in thickets or swamps where its very secluded. the hardest part about this hunting is finding the bedding area which takes persistent scouting. Once found you have to be carefull not to spook and deer when your coming in to hunt the area. Set up right oustide the bedding area so you don't spook and deer already bedded.

Rub lines are another good area tho hunt. rub lines are a group of rubs on a trail. To hunt rub lines you have to find them. a great way to find them is to hunt in the early archery season when only the big bucks have started to make rubs and scout the area for rub lines while still stalking. Then you come back later in the season and set yourself along the line/trail.

Hidden food source hunting is probably the hardest to do but the most rewarding. To find these hidden food source you have to know what the deer like then scout in the spring to find these sources. Deer like honey suckle, berries, acorns, and apples. Acorns and apples are probably the best. Once you find these food source the rest is easy you just hike up to the food and set up a tree stand. WARNING- never hunt these in the morning because you'll spook all the deer already feeding on the source and you'll spoil your chance for hunting it in the evening.

These aren't the only ways to do it many of you already have your way of doing it (feel free to share these). These are just some of the ways i have and many other people have found to be the best.
GripNRip

I'm a Member of the <b>Monster Buck Club!</b><br> My Final Goal is to become a VIP Member of PAbucks.com!!
I'm a Member of the Monster Buck Club!
My Final Goal is to become a VIP Member of PAbucks.com!!

Zodiac: Leo
Hall Of Fame Member

Game Tokens: 5
I agree that acorns are one of the best food sources around. If you can find a stand of oaks that is a great place to put a stand for archery season. I hunted a stand like that this year in the afternoons and I had deer coming in at all different times to feed. The most amazing part is that I and they were only about 75-100 yards from a road! But because it was on top of a little knob the deer seemed to feel safe there as the cars were down below them.
deerhunter02

I'm a 12 point buck on this forum.<br> My next goal is to become a Member of the Pabucks.com  Monster Buck Club.
I'm a 12 point buck on this forum.
My next goal is to become a Member of the Pabucks.com Monster Buck Club.

Game Tokens: 1015
When deer can see the threat and smell it the feel a whole lot safer. Also those deer were probably used to the cars their so they weren't a foriegn object.

Did you see any big bucks while you hunted there?
wes

I'm a spike buck on this forum. <br> <b>My next goal is to become a 3 pointer.</B>
I'm a spike buck on this forum.
My next goal is to become a 3 pointer.

Zodiac: Cancer

Game Tokens: 0
whats up ppl
im wes i hunt down in southern illinois prime deer hunting
my family hunts about 230 acers i have the best spot i think always c deer when i go out most of the time i am able to harvest one if i would like to. i always wait for the biggins ive seen some real nice deer here my dads friend passed up a 12 so maybe i can get a crack it him i found a 14 dead from blue tounge i think it had some velvet left from a couple of years ago thats when they get blue tounge so it most be from that.
last yea it was in clover that field was prime from seeing does i gad 38 deer in front of me at one time and only 1 6 point buck i was able to harvest a 2 9 pointers last year
i hunt a corner where there is a fence that come to the corner and i hunt about 30 yards on a tree line there is wood in front of me where i no they bed a open field to my right where they like to graze a milo field to my front right witch i dont no what they do there i dont think they eat it, its more for birds i think, a picked corn field to my right, and there is a pond in the woods about 200 yards away, its all there for them bedding area food water they dont have to move much its where u think u would c some mature bucks.
i pass up alot of deer i wont shoot anything thats not passed the ears but if it has character i might take it.
i think its harder to shoot a mature doe than a mature buck so i like to shoot does also
its poitnless to try to thin the does out where i hunt just to many of them im guessin the buck to doe ratio is like 1 to 6
darrenpete

I'm a 4 point buck on this forum.<br> <b>My next goal is to become a 5 Pointer.</B>
I'm a 4 point buck on this forum.
My next goal is to become a 5 Pointer.

Zodiac: Aries

Game Tokens: 125
Most deer hunters will eventually cross paths with a mature buck, but it takes a dedicated, experienced and skilled hunter to consistently drag big bucks out of the woods each year. I define mature bucks in my area as anything 3 1/2 years and older. If I were hunting in an area with less pressure and more restrictive limits, I would bump the age up to 4 1/2 years and older.
janet rudolph

I'm a 5 point buck on this forum.<br> <b>My next goal is to become a 6 Pointer.</B>
I'm a 5 point buck on this forum.
My next goal is to become a 6 Pointer.

Game Tokens: 200
I also agree with you that the best way to kill the big bucks consistently is to find where big bucks are consistently. This is not easy…

How to kill big BUCKS