Home Register Search FAQ Games Usergroups Log in  
Reply to topic Advice for Wooded, Shaded, Low Maintence food plot
Advice for Wooded, Shaded, Low Maintence food plot
PSUHunter

Zodiac: Leo

Game Tokens: 44482
Ha, if there is such a thing. Alright, my cousin and I are looking to just make a small plot in a wooded area near his camper. We are looking for something that wouldnt need much prep work, other then hand tools, a bag of fert. and some lime. We probably will not have a soil test done, we are not looking to make the master of food plots, we are just looking to put something in that will grow green, and attract some animals. If it doesnt work, then it doesnt work. It would not be very big, say 100'x100' maybe, not sure. But looking for something that would grow good in a shaded area in the woods. And like I said, itd be used just to possibly get some more game in or travel through the area more often [thumbup] Any suggestions? Not looking to spend a fortune also, so Im pretty sure we are SOL but its worth a shot. Any thoughts? Or possibly we could use some type of attractant, I forget what I seen but you just put it on the ground and the deer literally dug a hole pretty much eating the dirt to get this stuff....who knows....probably a gimmick hahaha. But would be used to get more travel for deer and turkey [thumbup]
Ghost

Warnings : 5 Warnings : 5 Warnings : 5 Warnings : 5 Warnings : 5 
<b>I'm a VIP Member of PAbucks.com!! <br>Highest Ranked Member!!</b>
I'm a VIP Member of PAbucks.com!!
Highest Ranked Member!!

Game Tokens: 1506
Whatever you use..remember one thing..You must periodically cut the food plot..If the food plot becomes to mature, the deer will not use it...THE DEER ARE ATTRACTED TO THE NEW SUCCULENT GROWTH....everytime you cut your food plot..either with a lawn mower or whatever..fresh new growth begins..this is what the deer want. Do not let it become mature and out of control...the deer wont use it. And you will have wasted your time and money.
Time your hunts according to when you cut the field..for example..Cut the field and then give it 2 or 3 days for new growth to begin..and then hunt it. [thumbup]

I WOULD USE WHITETAIL CLOVER
Yukon Tracks

I'm a Member of the <b>Monster Buck Club!</b><br> My Final Goal is to become a VIP Member of PAbucks.com!!
I'm a Member of the Monster Buck Club!
My Final Goal is to become a VIP Member of PAbucks.com!!

Zodiac: Scorpio

Game Tokens: 4640
Check out the website www.foodplots.com there is a ton of info on there about pretty much any crop that you would want to plant. It is probably going to give you better more detailed info than I can!!
ddr713

I'm a 12 point buck on this forum.<br> My next goal is to become a Member of the Pabucks.com  Monster Buck Club.
I'm a 12 point buck on this forum.
My next goal is to become a Member of the Pabucks.com Monster Buck Club.

Game Tokens: 3515
I was pleased with BUCK FORAGE OATS last year I planted it in mid Sept. I cleared and planted an area about 30 ' X 40' on the very top of the mountain w/ 1 bag of fert. & 12 bags of lime. When broadcast planting I double the amonut of seed.
Y.T. good site.
PSUHunter

Yeah, I have heard that it needs mowed for sure. But my last plot I did, the deer ate it all down before I got a chance to mow it [talker]
Theotis44

Highest Ranked Member!!

Zodiac: Taurus

Game Tokens: 14800
Here is very simple thing to do and is probably the cheapest, least maintenance. Granted, there are a TON of products out there, touting big antlers healthier deer etc. The BEST thing to plant is simple red and green clover available at the feed store. It grows well in various soil types. Turn your soil, pbroadcast it, fertilize etc. Cut when you start getting WOODY GROWTH, ie "invasive species. You will get many years out of it. Most products claiming all the big buck stuff and special formulas that you pay alot of money for, simply have a mixture of seed, and then you p[lant, what grows there grows there and it looks nice, but your really not getting what you pay for. Chiciry might grow one place, but not another, and you might WANT chicory. But you get green, and you are happy. The majority have a broadleaf plant that is beneficial, and all have clover, cause clover grows and is tolerant to alot of things.
PSUHunter

Thats what I was thinking, Ill have to check some stuff out....now its just when to plant it...would May be to early?(Just cause that is when we are going up for spring gobbler)
Theotis44

Highest Ranked Member!!

Zodiac: Taurus

Game Tokens: 14800
Nope, get it in the ground. Clover is very resilient. We will be doing this too in May,
PSUHunter

Theotis44 wrote:
Nope, get it in the ground. Clover is very resilient. We will be doing this too in May,
od deal! [thumbup] Thanks bro!
oifvet2006

I'm a Member of the <b>Monster Buck Club!</b><br> My Final Goal is to become a VIP Member of PAbucks.com!!

Zodiac: Virgo

Game Tokens: 3170
I have a suggestion u could try. I'm not sure about what you have in your area for lawn and garden stores, but in my town we have a store that will send a sample of your soil away and do tests on it. And they will tell you exactly how you need to plant whatever you are planting as far as how much fertilizer and such that you need to lay down for optimum growth. And also I have these sample packets of Alfa Rack, No PLow and Clover from Imperial I got at the Sportsman show in Harrisburg. On the instructions it says you can plant all that stuff as early as March. According to the instructions, it doesn't look hard to plant those at all, and virtually no machinery. Basically a rake and a mower. Not sure how those particular brands work, I've never used 'em but might be worth a try. Weather permitting, I might try planting some of it in the next month or 2.
oifvet2006

Zodiac: Virgo

Game Tokens: 3170
Sorry I missed the part where you said u weren't gonna have a soil test done. Scratch that info on the soil test. My bad.
PSUHunter

Thats alright, as far as the sample pakcs you have, I got them last year and planted 3 of them, I forget which ones, but 2 of them grew good, I think one was the no plow, one was the extreme, I forget the 3rd, but it did not grow good, but the deer hit them so hard, that they pretty much ate them out before they stood a chance, plus I should have mowed them down for some regrowth but didnt, but I ended up not hunting the area so it was ok, it was just fun to try and see what worked and didnt work. [thumbup]

Advice for Wooded, Shaded, Low Maintence food plot