Home Register Search FAQ Games Usergroups Log in  
Reply to topic PA spring turkey hunts
PA spring turkey hunts
happyappy

I'm a 3 point buck on this forum.<br> <b>My next goal is to become a 4 Pointer.</B>
I'm a 3 point buck on this forum.
My next goal is to become a 4 Pointer.

Game Tokens: 50
Come hunt the beautiful Raystown lake, with Center Hollow Outfitters, located in Huntingdon, PA. I have acces to over 20,000 acres of some of the best turkey hunting in the state. Hunts are 3-days and clients can harvest two toms. I'll supply the hunters with comfortable lodging and two meals a day. We'll eat lunch in town. Afternoons can be spent fishing at the lake and of course scouting for the next days hunt. Prices are $675.00 for a 1x1 hunt and $1,100 for 2x1. For questions or references call Adam at 717-226-4797 or email to happyappy97@hotmail.com.
Drop Tine

<b>I'm a VIP Member of PAbucks.com!! <br>Highest Ranked Member!!</b>
I'm a VIP Member of PAbucks.com!!
Highest Ranked Member!!

Game Tokens: 12240
Seems kinda steep! Turkey are as abundant as blackbirds! [eyes33]
Ghost

Warnings : 5 Warnings : 5 Warnings : 5 Warnings : 5 Warnings : 5 
Highest Ranked Member!!

Game Tokens: 1506
My buddy hunts Raystown...He has a friend that has a boat..They will hear upwards of 30 to 40 birds right at light...Of course mthats over the water and sound travels far over water..but still..lots of birds...He asked me if I could take my boat up there this year and taxi him around...i may do that.

Wow..that does seem steep...When I hunt PA spring birds it doesnt usually take me 1 or 2 mornings and I have a bird down..and thats publicland to....and its free [thumbup]
price gurantee
JoescheppaeQ

I'm a Member of the <b>Monster Buck Club!</b><br> My Final Goal is to become a VIP Member of PAbucks.com!!
I'm a Member of the Monster Buck Club!
My Final Goal is to become a VIP Member of PAbucks.com!!

Zodiac: Scorpio

Game Tokens: 5250
...that does seem steep. I had trouble spending $ 105.18 for my call & spinning turkey decapatators is that price a gurantee that i'd get a shot? evansburg for me, thanks...
fishjiming

I'm a Member of the <b>Monster Buck Club!</b><br> My Final Goal is to become a VIP Member of PAbucks.com!!

Zodiac: Virgo

Game Tokens: 2760
for that price they better be big bearded birds with hellacious spurs because it is to easy to kill birds in pa that i would never pay for a guide
adamjake

I'm a spike buck on this forum. <br> <b>My next goal is to become a 3 pointer.</B>
I'm a spike buck on this forum.
My next goal is to become a 3 pointer.

Game Tokens: 25
I don't understand why these people think that's a high priced hunt. Maybe they should look around for a better deal. Consider the outfitter supplies logding, meals, fuel and transportation, recreation insurance if they have it, commercial activity fees, and also a daily working rate, plus more i'm sure. Stop giving them a hard time, what did they ever do to you?
Ghost

Highest Ranked Member!!

I dont think its the Outfitters that we give such a hard time to..its the type of hunter that would pay to hunt...I just cant for the life of me pay to hunt animals..i dont want anyone increasing my chances..i want to doit myself...For me..the hunt would not be the same if I know I have $ associated with it...For hunters to go and pay outfitters $1,000.00s of dollars to hunt deer is ridiculous....Paying for my success is not option with me.

Do it on my own or dont doit at all. [thumbup]
ghost is right on target....
JoescheppaeQ

i'm not saying that guided gobbler hunts in pa don't have their time or place, what I am saying is that based on my own hunting philosophy & history the price for the raystown jaunt seems rather steep.

for me turkey hunting is being out before dawn, finding the birds roosting tree with in a reasonable distance, setting up the blind & decoys, calling, killing, breaking down, pictures, & then turkey dinner (s).

the cost for all this effort and materials after many seasons of routine breaks down to $ 70-$ 80 per outing and an 80% success rate based on 2 gobblers being harvested.
on the high side that's $ 160.00 for two mornings, about 8 hours. including all the associated fees and costs listed aove the price tallies $ 500.00.

with that being said, do people really pay that much to hunt turkeys, because I would make this a part time job and buy my birds at the super market.
buckman

Highest Ranked Member!!

Zodiac: Sagittarius

Game Tokens: 18584
I'm also a DIY hunter but I would say that there is certainly a time and place for guides. Take for instance in most if not all, I would have to check, provinces of Canada you MUST hunt with a guide. So, if some guy wants to try to tag into one of those monster Canadian bucks, he has to use a guide service.

Consider this, how about hunting for sheep, mountain lions or bears?? No matter my "skills" as a hunter and no matter the research I put into hunting these animals, it would be a tall order to be successful without any experience. A hunting trip even without a guide for such animals would quite costly so why not pay for the knowledge.

On the subject of turkey hunting, I would agree that just about anywhere in the U.S. someone could gain experience hunting them before making an out-of-state hunt.
Ghost

Highest Ranked Member!!

Buckman..

Ontario is the last province where you can hunt without a guide..at least for whitetails.

Also..Because guides are required for Dall..Stone sheep..Mtn Goats..Grizz..That means BIG MONEY..and that means most of the common hunter will never experience such hunts....Is that right to shut out the common hunter? I will never beable to afford Stone sheep hunting because most hunts are around $22,000 and up...Is that right? Is that right to shut out people who cant afford such hunts?

If the state of Alaska allowed me to hunt Stone sheep for the mere cost of a hunting license..by god ..id kill one...Someway..id figure out how to doit..and what it would take....But dont shut me out because of the salary i make.

Hunting is turning into a rich mans sport and anything that supports such a notion..im tottaly against.

Give me a licsence ..my 300 win mag...and ill come back with a sheep....The hell with outfitters and guides.
pay and shoot....
JoescheppaeQ

The original post offers a guided PGL hunt for up to two gobblers and drew criticism based on the price and how guided ventures such as that are causing commercialization to rear its ugly head at every level of hunting. The turkey hunt in and of itself after more scrutiny, seems like a fair deal for a beginner going for a first Tom. However, my concern seems to be that small time operations advertising here on PA Bucks will soon be competing and losing to ad’s placed by hunting farms or high fence hunting areas amongst other issues.

Ghost is correct when he says that hunting has become very commercialized. At the root of the problem are customers, guides, and outfitters that require and offer year round excursions where a trophy kill is virtually guaranteed. These “guaranteed kill hunts” are degrading the purity of hunting and that makes me really upset. Because these game mills not only offer large racks and easy meat, they also return hunters with new found gigantic egos that are more prone to “bitch” when they can't harvest a trophy deer on State Game Lands- even though their previous harvest was a 150 class bruiser at White Oak. These shooting preserves take the purity out of the hunt and are turning many of my peers into skill-less shooters that won’t stop complaining if they haven’t got their first eight pointer down by 7:15 am opening day.

Even though I don't harvest a buck every year, I do maintain my hopes and integrity by constantly trying to improve the skills needed to be successful. I could not even imagine a season where I did not buy my own license, scout my stand and blind placements, or cut shooting lanes prior to the season. Not calling in my own bird or carrying my own equipment- impossible. I couldn't imagine shooting an animal from a permanent blind eating at a feeding station. And most certainly couldn't go eat lunch and drink beers while someone else field dresses my animal and then takes it off to be processed. It feels like the institution of hunting is reverting back to a "tragedy of the commons" mentality. And that is not for me….

PA spring turkey hunts