Home Register Search FAQ Games Usergroups Log in  
Reply to topic Antler points vs how old? Can you tell?
Antler points vs how old? Can you tell?
Cityhunter

I'm a 12 point buck on this forum.<br> My next goal is to become a Member of the Pabucks.com  Monster Buck Club.
I'm a 12 point buck on this forum.
My next goal is to become a Member of the Pabucks.com Monster Buck Club.

Game Tokens: 2075
Can you tell how old a deer is by how many antler points he has? Or at least a general rule? I saw a small bodied 4 point chase a doe by a few weeks ago. How old you think he was? Then around the same area I saw a button buck, his antlers hadn't even't punched out from under the skin yet. ANd he had a small body. Was he a yearling?
Now today while checking my camera in my best spot, I kicked out a buck that I've seen 4 times within 80 yards each time. And he is at least an 8, maybe a 10 point with a pretty big body. How old you think he may be?

Thanks in advance....
RSB

<b>I'm a VIP Member of PAbucks.com!! <br>Highest Ranked Member!!</b>
I'm a VIP Member of PAbucks.com!!
Highest Ranked Member!!

Game Tokens: 14500
The small bodied four-point is probably 1 years old with his first set of antlers. The button buck is about six-months old and will be a yearling next year. The larger bodied eight-point is most likely a buck at least 2 years old. It is hard to even estimate how old it is without seeing its teeth and even that is not totally reliable. To have an age on older bucks you need to send a tooth out to lab and have it aged through a procedure where they take a slice from the tooth, dye it and then count the rings under a microscope.

Antlers can and do provide some pretty good age estimates if you can get a diameter of the bases but even that is not exact.

Dick Bodenhorn
Cityhunter

I'm a 12 point buck on this forum.<br> My next goal is to become a Member of the Pabucks.com  Monster Buck Club.

Thanks buddy. Interesting. I think I shot at the 8 point (maybe 10 point) last year. I missed (obviously). He has 4 points on each side, but I haven't been able to see if he has brow tines. And I've now seen him 4 times in the last month. Hopefully I get a shot at him in the next few days. His body looks pretty big. But I'd be guessing if I tried to estimate his weight.
Uncle Dave

Administrator
Administrator

Game Tokens: 13172893
He's legal. Put him down and show us some pics! [thumbup]
NBRYAN512

Zodiac: Sagittarius

Game Tokens: 1240
I have a few bucks on the wall, and have seen a number of true trophy bucks in the woods. Never has a friend or relative walked into my den and asked. How old was that buck when you shot him? If someone does I'll tell them I did'nt have the oportunity to ask him while looking through my peep.

If the deer is a trophy in your eyes, hopefully you get the oportunity to tag him. Weather its a 2yr old or 5 be proud and display him on your wall even if your wife says "your not putting another dead carcass on the wall are you"
Cityhunter

Iwasn't asking because I only want to shoot mature deer. I was asking because I am curious about how long it takes a deer to reach the sizes that I have recently encountered. That's why I gave the 3 various size deer I have recently encountered. If I saw a doe have a fawn and it came out with a small 8 point rack, IT GOES DOWN! I'm kidding. But you get the point.
I'm simply curious about...well, I'll give you an example: If I were to see a 5 point this week (Allegheny County - therefore cannot shoot unless you are one of these bozo's who shoot it then tag it for some other county), how old would you expect him to be? And on the average how much would his rack grow by next hunting season? And that is with all things such as genetics and food source being average.
Hunterman

I'm a Member of the <b>Monster Buck Club!</b><br> My Final Goal is to become a VIP Member of PAbucks.com!!
I'm a Member of the Monster Buck Club!
My Final Goal is to become a VIP Member of PAbucks.com!!

Zodiac: Capricorn

Game Tokens: 2950
I believe that what Bodie says is true.

But you also have to remember that Genetics and food sources plays a bigger role in how large a deer's antlers gets then just how old the deer is.

25 years ago, you could have a buck that was one and one half years old that sported a 11 point rack.
The buck grew the rack because he lived in an area where food was plentiful in the spring and winter and his body's genetics's allowed him to grow the big rack.

At the same time, you could go into another area, such as Lolita and hunt all season and see 2 1/2 year old deer that only had a small spike rack.

The size of the rack has nothing to do with the age of the deer, just the food supply and the genetics.
buckman

<b>I'm a VIP Member of PAbucks.com!! <br>Highest Ranked Member!!</b>
I'm a VIP Member of PAbucks.com!!
Highest Ranked Member!!

Zodiac: Sagittarius

Game Tokens: 18584
WRONG!! WRONG!!!

Age has a tremendous bearing on antler size!!

Age, nutrition and genetics do all play a role but AGE is the number one factor in determining antler size for wherever your hunting. Without it, you will never truly realize the antler growing potential of a given buck and here's why:

A buck's body is developing from day one through what we call maturity. Full maturity is when the bone growth has fully developed, their skeletal structure is done growing. From that point forward, all nutrition taken in by the buck goes toward body mass (muscle, fat etc.) and antler growth.

Yes, good nutrition and better than average genetics can improve antler growth size at an earlier stage but their true potential isn't realized until maturity (older buck).

No matter where you hunt, the "average"(most) buck will sport larger racks as they AGE to maturity.

Antler points vs how old? Can you tell?