Home Register Search FAQ Games Usergroups Log in  
Reply to topic do deer calls really work?
do deer calls really work?
young gunette

I'm a 12 point buck on this forum.<br> My next goal is to become a Member of the Pabucks.com  Monster Buck Club.
I'm a 12 point buck on this forum.
My next goal is to become a Member of the Pabucks.com Monster Buck Club.

Zodiac: Aries

Game Tokens: 2
i am a beginner in hunting and wanted to know if the deer calls really work? i heard they didnt. anyone with info. please let me know!!
Archeryman

<b>I'm a VIP Member of PAbucks.com!! <br>Highest Ranked Member!!</b>
I'm a VIP Member of PAbucks.com!!
Highest Ranked Member!!

Hall Of Fame Member

Game Tokens: 0
Deer calls do work in the right situations and certain times of the season when the deer are coming into the rut and a lot fo times right after the rut.
I do not go into the woods without a rattle bag and a couple different calls in any deer season. Here is a link to a page that tells about deer calls and the sounds to use.....

http://pabucks.com/callingwhitetaildeer.html

Check the link out and see what you think.
young gunette

I'm a 12 point buck on this forum.<br> My next goal is to become a Member of the Pabucks.com  Monster Buck Club.

ron

thank you for the information!!!
young gunette
PA_HUNTER

Highest Ranked Member!!

young guennte,

If you need any further questions answered on this subject do not hesitate to post a question here.

http://www.pabucks.com/deer-hunting-forum/viewtopic.php?t=675

If you are not clear on any of the deer call article information.I also will be glad to help in anyway.
Anonymous

Last bow season I was trying to call a big buck back into range with a doe bleat.
Next thing I know I have 2 smaller buck comeing at me from 2 different directions. Both running toward me.
Neither was legal, but it sure was fun to watch.
Treebound

Pabucks.com Pro Staff Writer

Zodiac: Scorpio

Game Tokens: 938
What I've found over the years on deer calls is everything depends on the agenda, personality, mood, and past experience of the deer (with calls) you're trying to intice with a call. If you have sited the deer and trying to call it into range and the animal is not in any hurry and doesn't sense any danger like movement and human scent you've got maybe a 50% chance to arouse their interest. At least they will perk up their ears and look your way. This is where their personallity and mood will come in to play. Be patient and just watch the body language of the deer. Don't call again if they keep coming your way cause there is no need to. When the deer walks or looks in another direction try it again. If the deer ever (caught) a hunter that tried to lure it in with a call it will always associate danger with that sound.

If a deer is just passing thru and in a hurry chances are he is on an agenda, either getting away from some perceived danger ( possibly spooked from another hunter) or is heading somewhere more important like a bedding area of a group of does.

Successful or not it always fun to watch the deer's reaction when we try to speak their language, just like Sieg3006 says.
Archeryman

Highest Ranked Member!!

Hall Of Fame Member

I have had some successes with deer calls and also have had deer stay to their agenda like Treebound has stated. They are fun to work with and I enjoy using them a lot. Most of the time though I have never spooked a deer with a call.
bwanared

Highest Ranked Member!!

Game Tokens: 1073
You want to have some fun go some where that you know there are does and start whalin on a fawn bleat and watch em come runnin. I let my grandson do this. He gets dizzy and I get to see the deer [Laughing]
Anonymous

I think sometimes folks use calls too much and educate deer. Every year it seems it's harder and harder to get deer to respond to calls. I remember when grunt calls first came out I bought one really questioning if it would work. Well it was the middle of November when I first tried it (there was no bowhunting in November then) and I was amazed at the results. I thought I had struck gold. It worked wonders for years late in archery season, and when they extended archery into November I thought I was in heaven. Lately though they don't seem to work nearly as well. Oh you'll get the occasional gung-ho young buck that comes right in. But every larger buck I call to seems to have a "show me first attitude", and they rarely come in. People seem to over use these calls early in the season and I personally believe it makes deer less prone to respond to them. I personally save my grunt call till the last week of October and then only use it when the wind is in my favor and I don't call unless I see a buck to call to. Ever wonder how many times a buck has been standing downwind of you where you can't see him listening to your calls? That deer is definately going to be leery of coming in to calls in the future. Sorry to ramble on about this so long but I think people need to use more sense when using calls. Just my 2 cents. [Very Happy]
Archeryman

Highest Ranked Member!!

Hall Of Fame Member

I called a doe from a field into the woods and was able to get a 20 yard shot. But with low light I only grazed her. Luckily I did not hurt her bad.
young gunette

thanks maybe i will think of using deer calls this season!
~young gunette~
tonys

Zodiac: Leo

Game Tokens: 226
Do they work? you bet they do, my favorites are the doe , estrous and fawn bleats, grunt calls and the wease call. The doe and fawn bleats I use during pre rut, the estrous bleat is only during the rut, I'll use the grunt all through the season adding a rattle bag close to the rut and the wease call is only during the rut you have to be carefull with the wease call it is more a challenge call from dominant bucks to other bucks that come in to his territory during the rut and late pre rut if you use it on say a 4 or 5 pointer there is a good chance you'll scare him off, I'll only use it on 8 or more point bucks......go get ya a few and practice with them, it's a lot of fun watching them come in to you even if your not planning on taking a shot.
Deadeye

Zodiac: Capricorn
Hall Of Fame Member

Game Tokens: 3607
I think deer calls can be very affective if they are not overused. Many people make the mistake of overusing a deer call and scare the deer away rather than lure them in. Some calls can be useful anytime of year but some are only useful during the rut. A good combination of scents and calls can often lead to a successful hunt. So keep practicing and sooner or later all that practice will pay off.
Ghost

Warnings : 5 Warnings : 5 Warnings : 5 Warnings : 5 Warnings : 5 
Highest Ranked Member!!

Game Tokens: 1506
Do deer calls really work?....Yes...they do....they work for me during the pre-rut and rut......I use my voice to call deer...and theres one call i do with my voice ...this call i learned about 20 years ago..I heard a mature buck doing it...When i heard that call..i knew it was different...so..i told myself i have to learn that call...So..i did...and ever since...ive had complete success with it year after year...I can honostly credit this call for most of the bucks ive killed in the last 15 years.

Ive heard no conventional call making company reproduce this sound........If one learns this call, his/her success will increase dramatically.
captinjack

I'm a Member of the <b>Monster Buck Club!</b><br> My Final Goal is to become a VIP Member of PAbucks.com!!
I'm a Member of the Monster Buck Club!
My Final Goal is to become a VIP Member of PAbucks.com!!

Zodiac: Aquarius

Game Tokens: 1009
I often use a predator call in the morning when I'm going to get outa my stand. It's not going to make any difference since your're going to leave anyway and I've called in fox.......never got one tho..........they are just too wary.

do deer calls really work?